Per WWE.com, WWE has released 7 well known & tenured superstars from their contracts:
- Theodore Long- Long had been with the company since 1998 in various capacities from referee to manager to longtime Smackdown General Manager, but hasn’t been used regularly on WWE TV since July 2013 when Vickie Guerrero dismissed him as “Senior Advisor to the Smackdown General Manager.”
- Camacho- Son of WWE Legend Haku, Camacho debuted back in 2011 with Hunico (Sin Cara Negro/Sin Cara II) as his enforcer. Recently he had been a singles act in NXT, feuding with Adam Rose.
- Brodus Clay- Possibly the biggest pushed name on the list, Clay was a huge part of Raw & Smackdown as the Funkasaurus for over a year. After his tag team with Tensai dissolved, Clay returned to NXT and challenged Adrian Neville for the NXT Championship. Somehow, Funkadactyl Cameron…still employed.
- Evan Bourne- Bourne had recently celebrated six years with the company, debuting back in 2008 on ECW. However the former tag team champion has been sidelined since 2012 with a foot injury suffered in a car accident, which followed two wellness policy violation suspensions.
- Yoshi Tatsu- Another long tenured superstar, Tatsu has made NXT his home in recent years, making sporadic appearance on the main show.
- Curt Hawkins- Added after our initial post, Hawkins has been with WWE proper since 2007, debuting as the Major Brothers in ECW with broski, Zack Ryder. He later won the tag championships with Ryder as part of Edge’s La Familia stable. Since that team he had formed alliances with Vance Archer & Tyler Reks. Hawkins also opened his own wrestling school earlier this year. He confirmed the release on his Twitter.
- Aksana- The hits just keep coming. This one’s pretty surprising since the Lithuanian diva appeared to be starting a program with Alicia Fox Monday on Raw. Making it to the main roster in 2010 on NXT Season 3, Aksana portrayed the money hungry love interest for both Goldust and Teddy Long before briefly joining with Cesaro. Recently she had been part of the diva’s tag team dubbed Foxana with Alicia Fox.
- Jinder Mahal- Damnit, not the funny one. Mahal joined Smackdown in 2011, feuding with the Great Khali. By 2012 he was repackaged with Heath Slater & Drew McIntyre as 3MB.
- Drew McIntryre- The Chosen One. Former IC and Tag Champion, also a member of 3MB. McIntrye was pegged by Vince McMahon on WWE TV as a “future world champion.” This one really shocked me. Despite being in a comedy tag team, the guy clearly has a ton of talent. We’ll always have his amazing entrance music.
- JTG- Smarks won’t have JTG to kick around anymore. The former Cryme Time member was added to the list of releases late this afternoon.
Days like this stink and I never like to celebrate people losing their jobs. I’m personally a little shocked by the Brodus Clay, Jinder Mahal/McIntryre , and Aksana releases. While I would of liked to have seen Camacho embrace his inner Haku, he, Hawkins, Bourne, & Tatsu weren’t being used much so perhaps plying their trade elsewhere is what’s best.