1) CM Punk is too good to pull the whiny screw-job routine, but I had to admit it was fun watching him kick the ropes and tantrum. While I love to watch the Rock perform, I think we can all acknowledge that it’s not appropriate for him to be WWE Champion if he’s not going to be around on a nightly basis. He’s wrestled 3 matches in over a year and one of those was tagging with John Cena. You can’t be a WRESTLING champion if you don’t wrestle. It will be interesting to see how they handle this feud moving forward with the Elimination Chamber.
2) Antonio Cesaro’s American shtick is hilarious. I love that he keeps adding new articles of clothing and props that display the flag. His personality is still a little bland, but his in ring arsenal is very impressive. I’m also curious why Randy Orton doesn’t seem to catch the shit that John Cena does for his “5 moves of doom.” Randy has nearly the exact same sequence of moves that John does, there just isn’t any “You Can’t See Me-ing.” I wonder when Orton will be back in any kind of title picture. He seems above The IC & US titles but nowhere near bigger belts any longer.
3) I like watching Ryback throw dudes around in the ring. Keep chanting Goldberg, you annoying smarks. Every single gimmick in wrestling is recycled. No one chanted “Million Dollar Man” at JBL and no one chants JBL at Alberto Del Rio. Allow your basement dwelling, porn bot starting selves to just enjoy watching this powerhouse almost kill people.
More nonsense after the jump.
4) Is Wade Barrett established enough after his injury to lose to whomever that was he lost to? Barrett should be in the main event, not putting over NXT-ers. He has plenty of time to do stuff like that after becoming World Heavyweight Champion. He should get there this year.
5) I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: I respect the HELL out of John Cena. I’ve never interviewed anyone as in touch with the wrestling business as he is. He’s a workhorse and the consummate professional. That said, does Super Cena squashing Cody Rhodes in 2 minutes do anything to advance John? No. Does it help a bright young mid-carder with tons of potential like Rhodes? No. Maybe just cut a promo, John. Everyone knows you are the man.
6) The Shield is fantastic. I dig the theme song. I dig the outfits. I dig the tactics. I have no idea what they are shielding us from. I also love that the announcers keep screaming about The Shield’s “numbers” when they consistantly beat down John Cena, Sheamus and Ryback. Three. Guys. Get it? It’s not The Shields fault those dummies run down one at a time to the ring. Where is their merch, btw? I’m first in line.
7) My pal Matt Bloom deserves better. He made the most of a bad situation. Kudos to him.
8) What exactly was going on in that Divas segment? I always read that the highest rated segments of the night are usually when the chicks are out there and I just don’t get it. You can see relatively attractive chicks with fake bake all over prime time TV. You can see relatively attractive chicks with fake bake scissoring with one another on the internet. So why must I be subjected to their lurchy, sloppy wrestling on my favorite TV show? I gotta say that Kaitlyn broad is alright with me, though. Those stems cause tingling in the neither regions.
9) I think it’s wild that the Rock has PG-13 carte blanche. Does anyone else have that right now in the WWE? It would seem Punk does as well, but doesn’t utilize it as much. I would put Cena in that category too, but that’s it. I assume everyone noticed Punk’s not so veiled digs at the Rock’s work schedule when he was deciding when the rematch would be. I’m glad he didn’t go down that road, because it was well tread by Cena last year building up to Wrestlemania. The Rock is a movie star. He’s not going to be there every week. Work with what you have and it seems Punk is doing that.
10) Why on earth would they have a 3 hour wrestling show and NOT let Damien Sandow cut a promo?
11) Going to pretend the Karaoke thing never happened and focus on Jericho and Ziggler teaming up against the tag team champs. Selfishly, I could watch a Y2J/Show-Off feud until the end of days. Practically, I wonder if it’s the right move. Jericho did a great job of putting Ziggler over during his last run. I imagine Dolph will go over again, but it’s curious that he is still in the same position he has been for years. On the cusp. You would have to assume that Del Rio’s face turn and subsequent feud with The Big Show have stalled Ziggler’s ascension to World Heavyweight Champion. I guess if he’s still going to be in a holding pattern, I’d rather that holding pattern be a feud with Jericho.
12) Always fun to see Vince & Heyman going back and forth. Who among us doesn’t think Paul is an honorable man? Hiring thugs and corruptible officials is nothing! Also BBRRAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAK LESSSNNNNAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
13) How great was it when Heyman was screaming “Would you please leave the ring, Vince!!!” Then McMahon takes the bump? Lensar is immediately reestablished as a raving lunatic monster. Man that was fun. I assume this will reignite the beef with Hunter, but one can hope for a Heyman guy vs Heyman guy program at some point.