1) I assume the WWE has some ratings information we are not privy to. Maybe that could explain all the replays of The Rock’s segments. Half of SmackDown this past week was a replay of “The Rock Concert.” Perhaps a replay of a segment involving The Great One dwarfs live segments with other talent. It would have to justify the constant recycling of his segments. It’s a shame they opened RAW with what was in essence a re-run. You have 2 of the best talkers of all time involved in a feud. Let them speak to one another.
2) They don’t seem to have much direction for Orton. He jobs to Barrett then beats the US Champion? I know he was injured but does anyone else get the feeling they don’t trust him as champion? He’s still fairly young, over with the crowd and doing… nothing? An Orton/Ziggler program for the World Heavyweight Title would really hit the spot.
3) Half of Mick Foley’s Hall of Fame video package is The Rock.
4) You have to be impressed by The Shield. I don’t quite understand what they are “protecting” us from, but all three of those guys are very talented. Ambrose is a super star in the making. The guy can do it all. I assume it will eventually be divulged that Paul Heyman hired them without Punk’s knowledge. Heyman will be needed to mouthpiece for Brock Lesnar, when and if he ever returns. Perhaps that could set up a Punk/Lesnar feud which would cause my drawers to drop. Hit the jump for more babbling.
5) It appears that the WWE is over Zack Ryder. He showed them that youtube is popular and I guess that’s a wrap. I have nothing but respect for his hustle and drive, but his promo ability is pedestrian at best and the gimmick is tired. I’m wondering if they could repackage him and make something work. 3MB has been incredibly entertaining, there is no reason something like that couldn’t work for Ryder. Maybe bring back the one legged wrestling tights? Speaking of 3MB…
6) … Could Ryback have just squashed ONE of them? They are the most entertaining thing in the mid-card. I realize they are mostly there for entertainment’s sake, but leaving them with an ounce of credibility could be useful. All three of those guys could compete for the United States title. Drew McIntyre still has all the tools in the world. Why not build them up a little and have an internal feud for the IC or US title INSIDE the band? Then you could break them up if you want for a singles run. Sometimes I blow my own mind.
7) The feud between The Rock and CM Punk is much more work-like than Cena/Rock. I wonder who called for that. You’d have to assume The Rock realized Cena got the better of him in the weeks leading up until Wrestlemania. I find it curious that the WWE is sticking with heel Punk. He is so over with the crowd, it doesn’t seem to matter how many times he slanders them. They still cheer and chant his name. I would wonder if he does drop the strap at some point, he came back from the dark side. He certainly moves merch, either way.
8 ) Dr. Shelby chant FTW.
9) The Shield destroying The Rock takes things up a notch. That’s a big deal. It also makes me think there is a possibility that there could be a giant swerve coming at the Rumble involving Punk, Heyman and The Shield. It also gives the WWE an out if they don’t want to put the strap on a part time Wrestler. As great as The Rock is and as great as it is seeing him on Raw, the dude is filming like 100 movies a year. Do we really think he’s going to be around long enough for a title run?
10) Sheamus and Wade Barrett always have great matches. Hopefully they are feuding for the WHC at some point in the near future. Barrett should get more mic time as a general rule. They seem unwilling to put the time & effort into developing him into a main event contender, even though he has all the tools. I like all three of his finishers and I’m glad he didn’t have to do the job tonight.
11) John Cena’s promo to end the night was not his best, but it served the purpose to remind us all that the real main event on Sundays pay-per-view is the Rumble. It’s the best PPV there is, having CM Punk face off with The Rock is just gravy. I hope many of you can make it out to our viewing party at the Green Turtle. It should be a fun night to watch wrestling with friends.