Dave Bautista on John Cena “To Me He Killed Hardcore, Edgy Wrestling”

Photo Credit: http://www.john-cena-posters.com

This Friday night on The Chad Dukes Wrestling Show on 106.7 The Fan we will be airing an interview with former WWE Champion Dave “Batista” Bautista. The six time world champion had a lot to say about his career, the business and had some especially interesting things to say about John Cena.

You can listen to the full interview right here:

Here’s an excerpt about the end of his WWE run.
I think, you know, they did the whole PG direction thing, I think that works for Cena; the little kids love him, cause he’s a great character, he’s someone they can look up to. The girls love him,  good looking guy, says all the right things, does all the right things, but the hardcore fans can’t stand him. He is Mr. Hokey, Mr. PG… to me; he killed hardcore, edgy wrestling.

Later on Chad asked him about his final feud with Cena and he had this to say:

I was playing the part of the heel, but they were still booing the hell out of Cena. I really had to go that extra step to be a heel against this guy.
Interesting stuff from Bautista, especially in regards to the PG direction. We’ve seen a lot of wrestlers come down on both sides of the PG argument and clearly Dave, as a big fan of the “Attitude” era, thought it was the wrong move. I don’t think he has any personal ill will towards Cena, but clearly his success was the beginning of the shift away from the edgier programming that made Pro Wrestling so successful in the late 90′s and early 2000′s. I also don’t blame him for being upset that he had to work harder as a heel to get people to boo him, because Cena is such a controversial figure. I mean, who can forget Cena celebrating with fans in “We Hate Cena” shirts directly after their Wrestlemania 26 encounter? Dave had many other things to say regarding how and why he’d come back to the WWE, what it’s like to be an actor and his training in mixed martial arts. So if you didn’t listen to it in this post (why wouldn’t you?) you can also catch it on this Friday night’s episode of The Chad Dukes Wrestling Show on 106.7 FM The Fan in Washington, D.C. or stream it live here.

29 Comments on "Dave Bautista on John Cena “To Me He Killed Hardcore, Edgy Wrestling”"

1. burn says:

Is there an RSS feed for the show? Is it being podcasted?

2. WRESTLING SCRIPTED says:

Hey Davey, there is no hardcore wrestling! Please it wrestling consist of stunts, acting and wooing the crowd!!!!
    UFC is hardcore not WWE nor TNA!!!!

• Mack says:

Whoah shit man, really? My eyes have been opened! Hey all you wrestling fans out there… WE ARE BEING DECIEVED!!

• micheal says:

hey dave to hear your doing good and wwe needs you more then ufc no duh wrestling scripted so is mma to a [piont and if you never watched back in the ninty that was real blood and hardcore wresting]\\

3. John Cena says:

I think you’re wrong,well the part you said that kids like me is true,but my carrer is not about to be over.My carrer is going to end when I retire.And that will be in twenty-eight years.I’m still a guy that’s handsome and young.And you were a good rival for me to rival up with.I thank you for that Dave.

4. Charles says:

Well i alot to say for Dave Batista why did you leave you were a good wrestler and for John Cena everybody as there on say if you like or dont like we need to see Dave back in the WWE Ring why dont we have a Rating who dave will go head to head i jave someone John cena before the biggest stage of them all april. 1 2012 wm28 RATE THIS

5. Charles says:

Roddy piper you are a icon wish we can see some roddy heat the pippets pit i can remember way back when hulk hogan in the late 80′s where does time go i wood like to see the good old time

6. Ekow(all the way from Ghana) says:

Well the attitude era was awesome but i think pg is better.C’mon Y’all are great! The Rock, Triple H ,Shawn Michaels n Taker are my all tym favourites.I miss Batista though,Cena is cool,Ryder is my Broski,Miz is awesome n Roddy Piper is Legendary

Trackbacks for this post

1. Does a Masked Kane Fit in today’s WWE Universe? | Chad Dukes Wrestling Show
  2. Dave Bautista Speaks on His Eventual Return to the ring | Chad Dukes Wrestling Show
  3. Batista Blasts Cena, New Midcard Mafia Episode, Ask Eve Video and More | WWE News, TNA News, WWE Divas Photos, TNA Knockouts Photos - WNZ
  4. Batista to John Cena “TO ME HE KILLED HARDCORE, EDGY WRESTLING” | Wrestling Daily
  5. Batista Rips John Cena, New Episodes of Midcard Mafia & Ask Eve, SmackDown
  6. WWE News: Batista Claims John Cena "Killed Hardcore, Edgy Wrestling" | WWE Insider
  7. Business Travel Site » Batista Rips John Cena, New Episodes of Midcard Mafia & Ask Eve, SmackDown » Business Travel Site
  8. Batista Comments On John Cena’s Influence On WWE’s PG Product | Wrestling-News.Net
  9. Dave Batista Interview On The Chad Dukes Wrestling Show (Audio). « WWE-STALKER
  10. Batista Says John Cena Killed Hardcore, Edgy Wrestling | WrestlingNewsWorld.com
  11. Ex-WWE Star Batista Slams John Cena | Randy Orton #1 Fans Site
  12. Batista Says John Cena Killed Hardcore, Edgy Wrestling; Says He’s Not In A Rush To Go Back & Work With The Miz | The Ring Fan – Dirt Sheet
  13. Ex-WWE Star Batista Slams John Cena | WWE Insider
  14. Bautista on John Cena “To Me He Killed Hardcore, Edgy Wrestling” | Unlimited Radio 24/7
  15. Can The WWE turn John Cena and Big Show Heel? | Chad Dukes Wrestling Show